Thursday, April 8, 2010

London Baby!

So I only just realized today after talking with my new PSL (Project support leader for those of you not fluent in Katima-ese) that I have completely neglected my blog! Now would be a good time to update I guess. :p We've been successfully relocated across the country yet again to the beautiful London ON; The city of trees. This name was aptly given as there are trees everywhere you look! There's also the Thames River (not the real one though) and so many beautiful parks and walking paths! Walking downtown you don't get the big city feel although London is a pretty big place; especially for me. There are over 40 different bus routes and 400 000 people. Woah. You can take the girl out of the small town but you can't take the small town out of the girl.
Our house is pretty old but it has so much character and is much better functioning than our last one! (Thank God!) I'm sharing a room with the English girls which is awesome! We have the biggest back yard with trees and shrubs and so many squirrels! I don't think I've ever seen so many squirrels in my entire life!
My new workplace is Habitat for Humanity where I'm basically supervising a construction site. We're building a home for a family in need which I'm super excited about! I get to organize the other volunteers and make sure everyone is registered and fed. I'll also have ample opportunity to work on the house and try my hand at basically any trade this project entails! What a great learning opportunity! I've learned to care with my heart and now I get to care with my hands. :) I'm working with Josh so I won't be alone when I'm opening up the site at 8am every morning. Yay!
Just tonight we all (minus the Frenchies who went to Giant Tiger instead) went to a tattoo and piercing shop so Rachel and Kristen could look at their tattoo design. Unfortunately the artist they're getting to design their tats wasn't working today so they struck out for the day. We figured it would be a such a waste of a 25 minute walk downtown so Danielle and I decided to get piercings! They were buy 1 get one free so why the hell not right? Dani get her belly button done after the equivalent of 12 minute decision time and I went for my nose piercing that I've wanted for a very long time. (as in longer than Mom and Shael!!!) I was really surprised that it didn't hurt more than it did.. but I guess that not much can compare to shoving a pen-sized earring through your ear... When I had read on the Katimavik facebook forum before the program that A LOT of body modifications occur during the program I did not think that it would happen to me. I figured 'Oh I'm smarter than to mutilate my body just out of boredom' ...Well... I guess I'm not but I honestly would not say that what I did was intelligent. I love my 'additions' and that's all that really matters to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment