Friday, January 8, 2010

BC BABY!!! :D

Well... So much to say about the past, oh, month?? Turns out I'm not very good at keeping you updated but the way I'm looking at it is that the more time I spend on the computer writing about the things I'm doing the less time I'll have to actually do the things I want to write about. This would reduce the things that you get to read about which would be kind of anti-productive now wouldn't it?? Haha! Look at me and my excuses. So what has happened since I wrote last... Uhh.. well first off there was Christmas, New Years, me curing cancer, rotation, new house, travelling to the moon and a new work placement. Woah.. I'm pretty amazing if I do say so myself!

Katima-Christmas. Strange. Different. Sad. Exciting. Challenging. We did a combination of the Quebecker-style Christmas and the traditional (for me). This means that we had a huge buffet style dinner Christmas Eve at 10:00pm then waited until midnight to open gifts from our families. We did our secret santa exchanges between the roomies on Christmas morning and had our Christmas brunch. We watched movies all day on a borrowed TV and relaxed. I got to talk to my family over Skype on Christmas Day which was really, really nice getting to see everyone; even over a choppy, lagging webcam connection. It was really strange to not be with my family and I'm not planning on spending many more Christmases away from them. My Katima-family was a great net of support as they were all going through the same thing (obviously). It was over Christmas that I really began to understand just how lucky I am to have the connections that I am forming with my group. It's as if I have 9 new brothers and sisters which is not something that a lot of people get to experience.

Sober New Years at 18-years-old.. Wow. There's not something that happens very often.. Especially for someone from Delburne. We spent New Years at my work placement, St. Pats, in the gym with the rest of our cluster. We had a dance and the most epic game of musical chairs I've ever been involved in. (I came in second by the way... And the guy who beat me cheated!!) I also dyed my hair in the locker room during the party because a Katimavik rule prohibits me from dying my hair in the Katima-house. This was kind of exciting as I finished it right before midnight and I got to start off the new year as a brunette.

So cancer can now be a thing of the past thanks to me and my new particle accelerator. I came up with a new formula that reverses the effects of cell mutation and promotes healthy cell development. The only problem is that I don't have the time to publish and produce my work so the people of Earth will just have to wait until June 17th when I have more time. bahaha

Rotation. AKA Hell. On the bus at 4:00am. (no sleeping the night before obviously!) Board the plane at 5:45am. Arrive in Toronto at 6:20am local time (7:20am Moncton time). Arrive in Vancouver at 11:00am local time (3:00pm Moncton time). Touch down in Kelowna at 2:20pm BC time (6:20 Moncton time). Have a mini-freak out on the airline people for possibly sending my big suitcase to Shanghai. Take Bouctouche group to Penticton. Visit with Granny, Poppa, Aunite Bubba and Jake for 7.5 minutes. Drive up to Vernon to drop off that group. Head to Kamloops. Arrive in Kamloops at 8:30pm (12:30 Moncton time). Claim rooms, check out house, scream and jump for joy until 9:00pm (1:00am). Talk to new PL, Julie, and have a small group meeting until 10:00 (2:00am). Go to bed 10:30pm (2:30am). Wake up next morning at 6:30am (10:30pm) to start meeting work partners. Oh my.

Our house is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!! We have 2 full kitchens, 2 full bathrooms, 2 living rooms, 2 rooms for the girls and even 2 rooms for the guys! There are 4 girls sharing a room upstairs and Danielle and I share the room in the basement. How nice is it to be able to move around/sit on your bedroom floor??? Holy! I'm loving it! Our PL Julie is really amazing! She's fairly young although she won't tell us how old she really is. She's vegan (which I think is absolutely insane but to each her own i guess..). She's really a stickler for the rules and regiments of Katimavik which means that we're not allowed to swear (or hang the calender of half-naked men in our bedroom). This is a bit of an issue for me because I've kind of developed a slight potty mouth.. (and I like looking at half-naked men!) I guess that I'll just have to work on it or get a verbal warning/CTI/final warning/sent home. My freedon of speech and expression isn't that important to me I guess.

We got our new work placements today. I was really, really pleased with my placement as I go the SPCA!!! :D This is the job that I wanted since I found out my community placements and looked at the work partners on the Katimavik website. I just hope that I don't start to resent cleaning up cat pee (as wonderful as that sounds). I will get to walk to dogs, play with them, name new animals that come in and hopefully get to spend a day with one of the constables that do the rescue missions. I think that this would be a really amazing opportunity and I really hope that this can happen! :D

Well!! I think that this is a sufficient amount of information for you to digest and for me to throw at you. I am confident that the whining can die down for now.. :)

"Make your life a dream and your dreams a reality" -Daniel's back
~Syd

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds aweseome! Your house sounds HUGE. I thought ours was big, but we only have 1 living room and 1 kitchen. What does one do with 2 kitchen though?! I'm super excited to rotate, and I'm glad yours went well! I volunteered at an SPCA for a day a year-ish ago, and they just got us to pick up ridonculous amounts of poo and/or diarrhea in the back yard and wash dirty kennels, so when I first read that you were there, I wasn't super excited for you. But obvs your job has a lot of fun stuff involved, and I'm glad you're excited--that is super important! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete