Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Work Placement!!

Hey all!!
Today I started working at St. Pat's Family Center. The morning was filled with cleaning sweaty exercise equipment and mopping wet changing room floors. That did not float my boat if you can imagine! We then had a two hour lunch and a chill period of doing nothing until the kids started showing up. I couldn't believe how haphazard everything was! The kids were crazy and the supervisors could hardly contain them. I wasn't told of any responsibilities expected of me so it was a lot of confusion and just playing with the kids. I'd say my day was productive.. I built a huge house out of blocks with this one cute little girl, played some soccer and got inked. One girl decided that I would look better with 'Rock On' written across my forehead alongside a skull and crossbones in black gel pen. I think it's a really good look for me and I'm considering getting it permanent. All in all I really enjoyed work! It beats cleaning the house (for now).
Thanksgiving away from home was really not like Thanksgiving at all.. Sure we had turkey and most of the fixins' but it just wasn't the same! There wasn't quite the family feeling although that sure is building in our house. We all sort of have our roles within the house.. Rachel and I are the mothers apparently, Kristen is the honor-role daughter, Danielle is the hormone driven teenager and Daniel is the crazy uncle that everyone loves. I really hope that the group continues to grow tightly knit and that everything continues to go smoothly.
This past weekend we did two big activities.. the first was a cluster trip to Hopewell Rocks on Saturday to see the Fundy tides. That was so amazing! The rocks were huge and 'eaten away' at the bottom so they were a lot skinnier at their base. We went at low tide and could barely see the waters edge from where we were standing at some places. We went for a walk through a little forest, did some group activities and by the time we got back down to the beach there was 6 inches of water where we had been standing. I couldn't believe how quickly the tide came in and how high it was going to get! Unfortunately we weren't able to stay until high tide but we were told that it was expected to reach 36.4m that day! Insane!! On Sunday we went to TreeGo which was basically an obstacle course 50 feet in the air through the trees! It's such a test of one's courage and nerve! I had a total blast! There were 4 huge long zip lines over the river and the views were spectacular! I couldn't believe the adrenalin rush! It was like nothing I'd ever felt before! It was a great activity for the group as it required a lot of teamwork keeping people calm and talking them through obstacles. The City of Moncton gave us 12 free tickets which was amazing considering the tickets normally cost $25 per person!
The new house managers, Josh and Sandra, are making homemade cabbage rolls for dinner tonight and I'm really excited! It's a good meal that I didn't have to cook! :p
I'm continuing to have the time of my life and it's getting easier to be away from Alberta every day. This place and these people are slowly beginning to feel more like home. I'm just really really glad for current technology which makes it easy to keep in touch with all of you.
Until next time! Loving life!!
~Syd

No comments:

Post a Comment